12/5/09

Oh my, tomato pie and a day of canning


This is it, the last of the tomatoes, till next year.



 The ripe tomatoes I used in tomato pie. The recipe is old and simple. Basically a pie shell, tomatoes, 1 cup swiss cheese and 1/4 cup mayo. From there you can add other tasty bits to your liking. Tonight I added parmesan cheese, artichoke hearts, and some chopped sundried tomatoes as well. I have no idea what kind of tomatoes these are I planted over 30 cultivars of heirlooms last year, only to loose track of what was planted! I hate it when I do that, which is fairly often.

Yeah, its d*amn good! Especially when it served up with a rosa wine, a gift from my sister-in-law. I love the chickens on the label...does she know me, or what?


Green tomatoes made 14 pints of chow-chow. Can you what guess my friends and neighbors are getting this year?


Here is reason the tomatoes had to be brought in, the first frost....still no snow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry your roses got "frosty!" That tomato pie and glass of wine looks de-lish!