12/4/09

Thanks Giving

Our home grown gobblers. A different experience. Raccoons killed four of our eight chicks last spring. That left us with 3 toms (boys) and one girl. I can't  remember what the girls are called, hens? It doesn't really matter, she's not going to come when you call her anyway. Hopefully, and I do have my doubts, we still have a breeding pair.

We butchered and cleaned a Royal Palm and a Narragansett, both heritage breeds. The Royal Palm was slightly larger, 12 lbs.
Not much taste difference between the two. But the texture between heritage and store bought was noticeable. The breast on the heritage birds is much smaller, almost sad looking. Taste was the same as store bought (tasted like turkey) . It was the texture that was noticeably different, not fatty and none of that "spongey" weirdness  butterball turkeys have.


As you can see from the photo, they were not very pretty. O.k, they were down right homely plucked. Instead of the traditional whole turkey on the platter we opted to serve them carved into family size pieces and it helped with presentation. Once everyone had a taste they seem to forgive them of their "farm style" appearance. We were very thankful for them.

2 comments:

Melynda said...

I love the thought of whats not in them. I am in the process of getting laying chickens. To know where your food is from - Priceless.
I'm honored that mine was your first blog post.
Happy sewing.
Melynda

Queenplinker said...

Thanks, I do hope you blog about the new birds. Hope your getting colored egg layers too! I never tire looking at pretty eggs! I know that's weird, but I bet you catch the same sickness.lol